For the first time in Canadian history, science and smart decision-making have become an election issue. This is a huge accomplishment, but there is still much work to be done. Check out what you can do today to make sure we elect a science-friendly government on October 19th!
Election Countdown: Time to take action for science
10 things you can do today to help stand up science and smart decision-making in Canada!
1) Vote! Advanced polls open today and are open all weekend. Skip the election day lines and #votescience today!
You can review the science platform for each party here:
2) Let your candidates know you care about the future of science in Canada by asking them these questions at locals debates or on your doorstep:
- “Will you and your party restore open and transparent communication between government scientists and the public?” If so, will you commit to developing and implementing a new federal science communication policy that allows this open communication?
- “Will you and your party re-establish the mandatory long-form census?” If so, what additional action will you take to improve Statistics Canada's ability to collect and publish high quality social, health, economic, and environmental data?
- “Will you and your party appoint a Science Adviser who reports directly to Parliament?” If so, what role do you foresee the Science Adviser playing in your government and where should that position best be placed to ensure its independence?
3) Tune into Quirks & Quarks and listen to their all-party election science panel.
9) Join Evidence First - our community of monthly donors so we can hold the new government accountable after the election.
10) Share this post with your friends and family (click on social media icons below).
Thank you for everything you've done so far - let's keep the momentum going!