15 month full-time employment position ending May 2017 with possibility of continued employment.
E4D is hiring: Interim Executive Director
Evidence for Democracy (E4D) is a national, nonpartisan organization promoting government transparency and accountability through evidence-based decision-making in public policy. Since launching in 2013, E4D has become the leading voice for science, evidence-based policies and government accountability in Canada. E4D conducts independent research as well as education and advocacy campaigns.
This position as E4D’s Interim Executive Director offers an unusual opportunity for an entrepreneurial, highly skilled and personable professional with a passion for bringing science to policy to improve policy decision and government accountability in Canada. We’re looking for a committed, results-oriented individual for this position.
Applicants must have demonstrated campaign effectiveness, strategic and tactical insight, and science know-how as well as the proven ability to interact with scientists, government officials, policy makers, funders, donors and other top managers. We want someone with exceptional communication skills. We are looking for a strong, senior-level professional, who displays energy and professionalism in a participatory manner, to contribute to our team.
The Interim Executive Director is responsible for developing and ensuring the implementation of E4D’s fundraising plan and strategies including growing financial support from individual donors, organizations and foundations. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement annual (or as required) fundraising strategy;
- Meet regularly and develop relationships with key funding sources;
- Actively pursues existing and new funding opportunities;
- Submits grant funding proposals to support campaign and project work and ensures all reporting requirements are fulfilled on time; and
- Develop stewardship, renewal and upgrade strategies for donors and supporters.
Strategic Planning and Program Delivery
The Interim Executive Director provides leadership and direction to all aspects of E4D’s work within the scope of the mission, vision and strategic plan developed by the Board of Directors. This includes direct oversight, management and often execution of E4D’s research projects and campaigns. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop new campaigns and projects within the scope of the strategic plan;
- Ensure each campaign and project has a clear workplan;
- Participate directly in campaign and project work as needed; and
- Meet regularly with staff to ensure appropriate progress is being made on each campaign and project.
As the main spokesperson for the organization, the Interim Executive Director is the public face of the organization. This involves participating in media interviews, giving public talks, attending events and conferences and cultivating strategic relationships. Specific responsibilities include:
- Seek strategic opportunities to build new relationships and nurture existing relationships with scientists, journalists, politicians, business and NGO leaders;
- Handle public and media inquiries;
- Maintain positive relationships with media; and
- Draft and publish opinion articles as necessary to further campaign goals.
Organization, Financial and Team Management
The Interim Executive Director liases with the Board of Directors and ensures that the corporation is kept in good standing. Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain close liaison with the Board, attend Board meetings and ensure proper minutes are kept and filed; and
- Ensures that corporate and tax filings are made on time.
Manages E4D’s national staff and volunteers while creating a collaborative and productive team environment.
- Hire, direct, manage, discipline, and terminate staff as required;
- Prepare an annual work plan;
- Ensure staff have up-to-date job descriptions and work plans;
- Conducts annual staff performance review; and
- Ensure staff have the necessary training opportunities to perform their duties.
Develops and maintains effective and well-targeted organization and project budgets and presents timely and accurate financial information to the Board of Directors:
- Prepare an annual budget and monitor performance relative to budget;
- Ensure that the Board of Directors are kept informed of the organization's financial status through regular meetings and financial reports; and
- Ensures that bills and invoices are paid on time.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong experience and a proven record in a policy research or research-based advocacy setting
- Demonstrated science/research literacy
- Management experience in an NGO setting
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills with an ability to deliver a persuasive message
- Tech savvy, familiar with online collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Skype, Trello, etc...
- Exceptional independent problem-solving skills
- Thrives in a fast paced, quickly changing work environment
- Strong leadership: proactive at management and communication
- Excellent time management skills; ability to set priorities
- Familiar with the issues surrounding science policy, research and politics in Canada
- Requires regular travel within Canada approximately once per month
- Bilingual in English and French is an asset
- Experience using CiviCRM is an asset
- Experience managing website content with Drupal is an asset
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references by email to email@example.com addressed to Katie Gibbs, Executive Director. Please put ‘Interim ED’ in the e-mail subject header.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Evidence for Democracy values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to equity and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities.