This month, the Liberal Party of Canada released a poll of its membership, in which it asked what accomplishments members were most proud of, and what top 5 issues they would like to see the government focus on with its return to Parliament.
The Liberals’ proudest accomplishment & their top 5 priorities
The environment, jobs, innovation and clean technology, health care, and transportation rounded out the list of top 5 issues for the Liberal government to continue to focus on.
Topping the record of proud Liberal accomplishments was “respecting science, scientists, and evidence-based policy.”
“Respecting science” is not something that can be simply be checked off a list. We know that the government cannot reach their targets, or achieve their promised goals, without the support of science and evidence.
Here’s our plan to ensure that “respecting science” is not checked-off, done and over with, and that it is front and centre of Canadian policy priorities this year.
Evidence for Democracy’s proudest accomplishment & our top 5 priorities
At the top of our accomplishments is making science an election issue, and continuing to hold the Liberal government to their promise to rebuild science in Canada.
We understand that science is the foundation of Canadians’ exceptional standard of living, the tool that has built our economy and made our country one of the safest and healthiest in the world. Evidence for Democracy will continue to work to keep Canadian science and evidence strong.
Here’s Evidence for Democracy’s Top 5 priorities as Parliament returns:
1. Ensure the establishment of a Chief Science Officer, as promised by the Liberal Government
2. Push for clarity on government scientists communication policies, ensuring muzzling of scientists never happens again, at any level of government
3. Support the call for increased independence at Statistics Canada, so Canadian data can continue to get back on-track for sound policymaking
4. Provide expertise, and ensure transparency and effectiveness, in government consultations on key pieces of legislation
5. Continue to make science in Canada a policy issue -- but not a partisan issue. We never want to see science systematically undermined again - regardless of what party may be governing
Thanks for your support in keeping science and evidence-based decision-making at the top of the agenda -- we couldn't do this without you.