Evidence for Democracy is hiring an Operations and Finance Manager.
Job Opportunity: Operations and Finance Manager
Position: Operations and Finance Manager
Location: Digital/Remote (possibility of in-office work in downtown Ottawa)
Position Type: Part-time (20 hours per week); One year contract with possibility of continued employment
Evidence for Democracy (E4D) is a national, nonpartisan organization promoting government transparency and accountability through evidence-based decision-making in public policy. Since launching in 2013, E4D has become the leading voice for science, evidence-based policies and government accountability in Canada. E4D conducts independent research as well as education and advocacy campaigns.
The Operations and Finance Manager is a part-time position (20 hours per week) responsible for E4D’s office, finance and operations systems. This is an exciting opportunity for a mid to senior-level operations professional who is looking for meaningful part-time employment in a positive and flexible environment. This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with E4D’s small team.
Financial Management: Work with the Executive Director to ensure successful financial management of the organization. Specific responsibilities include:
- Prepare and administer budgets
- Oversee payroll processing and management
- Regularly review invoices and bank statements for irregularities and ensure all transactions are classified and recorded correctly in Quickbooks
- Assist Executive Director in maintaining communication of financial information to the Board of Directors
- Compile financial reports to the Board on a regular basis
- Maintain and utilize E4D’s digital tracking system for E4D receipts, invoices and other financial documents
- Work with bookkeeper to provide necessary documents for annual review engagement or audit
- Complete tracking and analysis of funding sources, including from foundations and individual donors
- Support Executive Director with financial reporting for E4D grants and contracts
Operations: Work with the Executive Director to ensure successful operations of the organization including planning, budgeting, reporting, technical systems and internal policies. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership in organizational planning processes, including strategic, budgeting, and annual operating plans
- Maintain personnel records
- Develop and maintain appropriate organizational policies (for e.g. HR policies)
- Manage the daily operational requirements of the office
- Ensure efficient operation of the organization's computer network, databases, communications systems and office equipment
- Ensure accurate and timely corporate record keeping and necessary filing with Corporations Canada and CRA
- Maintain good communication with E4D team members and stakeholders as required
- 3+ years in a financial/operations role, preferably with a background supporting nonprofits and/or charities
- Demonstrated financial management skills with the ability to create, analyze, interpret and track project and organizational budgets
- Proficiency in QuickBooks Online is an asset
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to create and improve internal systems
- Familiarity with nonprofit boards of directors, and with the regulations and reporting requirements for non-profits and charities
- Able to exercise sound judgement, discretion and initiative and to organize and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with CRM databases, experience with CiviCRM is an asset
Compensation: $29,000 annual salary ($58,000 full time equivalent)
To apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations and Finance Manager” in the subject line. Interviews will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Evidence for Democracy values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to equity and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities.