E4D is seeking a full-time Fundraising and Communications Coordinator who is passionate about E4D’s mission and excited to play a central role in taking E4D’s work to the next level.
E4D is hiring: Full-time Fundraising and Communications Coordinator
Position: Fundraising and Communications Coordinator
Organization: Evidence for Democracy
Location: Ottawa is strongly preferred, but flexible for the right candidate.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time position: 40hr/week.
Start Date: Immediately
Duration: One-year employment position with possibility of renewal.
Evidence for Democracy (E4D) is a national start-up not-for-profit organization promoting government transparency and accountability through evidence-based decision-making in public policy. Since launching in 2013, E4D has sustained rapid growth becoming a leading voice on these issues in Canada. E4D conducts independent research as well as education and advocacy campaigns. E4D’s recent report “Can Scientists Speak” – the first assessment of media policies for government scientists - made headlines around Canada.
E4D is seeking a full-time Fundraising and Communications Coordinator who is passionate about E4D’s mission and excited to play a central role in taking E4D’s work to the next level. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Fundraising and Communications Coordinator will lead on securing resources from the private and public sectors. They will work with staff on developing and implementing a communications strategy that includes social media, online and email content and media relations.
Fundraising Responsibilities include (60% time allocation):
- Implement and revise fundraising plan that is designed to diversify E4D’s fundraising base and maximize potential income from existing monthly donor base
- Develop and implement a donor stewardship plan and maintain relationships with existing donors
- Identify new potential funding opportunities (from individuals, corporations and foundations)
- Ensure donor database software (civiCRM) is kept up-to-date
- Define and execute special fundraising events
- Work with Executive Director and staff on drafting funding proposals and reports
- Manage fundraising volunteers as necessary
- Prepare regular reports for Board and Executive Director as required
Communications Responsibilities include (40% time allocation):
- Help develop, execute and evaluate E4D’s strategic communications plan
- Work with other staff to develop campaign messaging, media releases, write op-eds, cultivate relationships with journalists, and secure media coverage of our campaigns
- Manage E4D’s social media presence, both generating and sharing content
- Help draft and review campaign content, including reports, email and petitions in conjunction with key campaigners
- Lead regular and engaging communication with our supporters through email, social media and E4D’s website
- Manage day-to-day activities for E4D’s digital and social media presence
Required Skills and Qualifications
- One to three years experience with various aspects of non-profit fundraising (direct-mail, email asks, monthly giving, major donor solicitation, foundation fundraising grant applications)
- One to three years communications experience including social media
- Experience working with web content management systems (e.g. Wordpress, Drupal)
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills with an ability to deliver a persuasive message (excellent storytelling skills are a must)
- Strong ability to execute writing projects on deadlines, whether writing for email, media, or social media
- Exceptional independent problem-solving skills
- Tech savvy, familiar with online collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Skype, Trello, etc.
- Thrives in a fast paced, quickly changing work environment
- Strong leadership: proactive at management and communication
- Excellent time management skills; ability to set priorities
- Familiar with the issues surrounding science policy, research and politics in Canada
- A post-secondary degree in fundraising, communications, marketing or other relevant areas of study
- Experience running a successful crowdfunding campaign
- Existing relationships with national media contacts
- Experience with community engagement
- Experience and passion for the work of grassroots, not for profit, advocacy organizations
- Bilingual – written and spoken English and French
Please send resume, cover letter, writing sample and three references by email to email@example.com addressed to Katie Gibbs, Executive Director. Please put ‘Fundraising/Communication Coordinator’ in the e-mail subject header.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled.
Evidence for Democracy values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to equity and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities.