Ahead of the 2020 Federal Budget, the Department of Finance has opened a survey and is accepting submissions for consultation on priorities for Budget 2020. Evidence for Democracy has submitted recommendations to the Department which include calls for securing and strengthening the Office of the Chief Science Advisor, recommendations to strengthen Canada’s capacity for openness, transparency, and evidence-based decision-making and support for science capacity, including climate science.
E4D’s Submission to the 2020 Pre-Budget Consultation
Budget 2019 and 2019 made historic investments in fundamental research, scientific training, and a culture of science for Canada. Budget 2020 provides new opportunities to build on these important investments. We believe that the following six recommendations will help Canada support our growing middle class, improve the health and well-being of Canadians, and ensure we are prepared to address the challenges of tomorrow:
- Provide increased funding to the Office of the Chief Science Advisor, expand their mandate, and secure the position through legislation.
- Promote openness and transparency through full implementation and adherence to Scientific Integrity Policies and open access to government science and data.
- Provide support for fundamental science through investment in the federal granting councils and scientific trainees.
- Provide increased funding to the Library of Parliament.
- Invest $10-15 million per year for five years in partnership-based climate and atmospheric research, especially in the Arctic.
- Restore funding for federal science to levels achieved in 2011.
Science and technology play a fundamental role in the health, safety, and well-being of Canadians. Strong research advances our understanding of the world, improves the health and well-being of our people, and ensures our governments have access to the best available information to make informed decisions. Investments in science and evidence-informed decisions are truly investments in Canada.
You can read our full submission to the consultation here. We encourage you to contribute to the pre-budget consultation by participating in the Budget consultation surveys and/or by making a submission to the Department of Finance. For resources and guidance on how to participate in the pre-budget consultation process, visit our training page or contact us at email@example.com.